Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Summer Fun


In the late 1960's I was shooting for The North Dade Journal, a local weekly owned by the parent company of The Miami Herald. The editor was big on what he referred to as "wild art", random interesting shots that you just happened upon as you drove around town. There was a small lake a few blocks from my house surrounded by Australian Pines, and some kids had tied a long rope near the top. They'd swing off the bank over the water and catapult themselves out into the lake. One hot summer day I was driving by and noticed a few boys sitting in one of the trees watching as their friends went flying into the water. I stopped and shot a few frames trying to catch one in mid air or just splashing into the water, but this one kid was so graceful just swinging on the rope that I always loved this shot!

2 Comments:

Blogger Al Kaplan said...

Offhand, Frank, I don't remember! James Mitchell scanned and posted this about a year ago from an 11x14 in my portfolio. The print itself probably dates to the early 1970's. I'd have to dig through those boxes of contact sheets and negatives from the late 1960's to find out for sure because back then I had a habit of writing that sort of thing on the negative sleeves. Probably shot with a Leica M4. At the time I believe I owned 19/3.5, 35/1.8, 50/1.8 and 135/3.5 Canons and an 85/2 Nikkor.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you tell me where this was more exactly? I think I remember it, but in the haze of time, I can't place it anymore. That particular tree does not look like an australian pine. There was an australian pine in west kendall lakes on a golf course, used to jump off in the 1980's, but i was an adult by then. They cut it down, maybe blew down in Andrew.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home