Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Brown Sugar - Yummmmmm!


I have only the haziest recollections of this shoot. I haven't a clue as to her name at this point. I think that she'd broken new ground being hired as a summer intern at the North Dade Journal. It was a time when whites and blacks in the south rarely mixed. The only blacks you were likely to see around here were gardeners and maids. The gardeners worked for white owned landscape companies who dropped them off and picked them up and the maids wore white uniforms and took the bus. But the times they were a changin', as Dylan put it. Slowly, but none the less changing.

Anyway, Jim hired her on, and we needed a mug shot of her to use in the paper. I shot some B&W with an 85/2 Nikkor on a Leica in open shade in my back yard. My house was just a few blocks from the office. I had a partial roll of color in another camera body and decided to use it up. I noticed how she was holding her hand against her tummy and shot off a few frames of that also. I always liked this shot.

I should try to locate the B&W's from the session. Maybe her name is on the contact sheets or the negative sleeves. I've about given up hope of finding the book in which I'd carefully cataloged all the color slides.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thee Most Exalted Potentate of Love said...

hmmmm. . . . i'm guessing this is slide film, right? hehe, only cause i know that my color negative stuff just never quite looks like this. . . .

great shot, man. . . .

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sharp image there Al...great color (no pun intended).

Keep up the great work Al,
Dan Lovell

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to see her face.

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home