Wednesday, July 05, 2006

White Girls Are So Pretty


I've known Mary since about 1979 or 1980 when she had an antique shop across the street from city hall and next door to a coffee shop I used to frequent. When I split up with the first wife I bought furniture and other things from Mary. I met my other now-ex, Claudia, through an introduction by Mary. Over the years I've photographed antiques and paintings for her to submit to the big auction houses.

There's always been a touch of magic, a spark between us, but there's also been a twenty year age difference. When I first met Mary she was in her late fifties. To a guy in his late thirties she looked like an old lady. Looking back at photos of her I took back then she looks quite attractive in the pictures to me now, but there's still that twenty years to deal with. She's now 83 and I'm 63.

Last year she gave up driving. Maintaining a car is expensive, and cataracts have taken away her night vision. I take her to her doctors appointments, and once a week we go grocery shopping. Here we're having a cup of coffee at Starbucks after visiting the doctor. Her mind is still sharp as a tack and we discuss everything from antiques to local politics and the world situation. On occasion we go out to dinner together. Sometimes she comes by my place and cooks up a storm. She's one of my favorite people.

P.S. Want an archival quality print of this or one of my other photos? E-mail me at preacherpop42@aol.com for details.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al, I didn't know you're 63. You look like you're in your 50's.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The women he keeps makes him look young.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home