Sunday, April 13, 2008

Reading The Sunday Morning Paper At The Enchanted Forest Park


I drive by the Enchanted Forest, a City of North Miami park, several times a day. It's only four blocks from my house and it's on the way to the post office and the local Starbucks. Usually I enjoy the company of the people I run into at Starbucks. There are days though, when I don't want the distractions. This particular morning I'd bought some turnovers at Ness Konditori, a coffee at Starbucks, and brought my newspaper with me to the park. Other than for a few ducks swimming in Arch Creek and a squirrel or two hunting acorns (and turnover crumbs) I had the place all to myself.

A hundred yards or so to the west of the creek is the Rock-N-Ranch, which existed long before the park was created. The owner, Shirley Chance, was allowed to remain with her pony rides. It fits in nicely with the rest of the park. Kids love it! There aren't many places in an urban area where children can ride ponies these days.

Back in the early 1970's the citizens banded together and the city came up with a bond issue to purchase this land. Otherwise today this would all be hi-rise condos instead of grass and oak trees. My thanks to those far sighted people.

NOTE: This is the eight hundreth post of The Price Of Silver!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home