Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ansco Memar ~ My First "Miniature Camera"



I was 12 years old and wanted something better than a box camera. I was looking for something with some basic controls and a lens that would focus. My dad had a Retina that he bought in the late 1930's, but while he was stationed in hot humid India during WW-II fungus had gotten to the lens.

I don't think that desert had ben served as yet at my Bar Mitzvah reception when I snuck out with a pocket full of gelt (Yiddish for "money") and headed up the street to McGee's with plans to buy myself a Kodak Pony. The salesman convinced me that the Ansco Memar was the better buy, metal rather than plastic body, and a much better lens. It was made by Agfa in Germany and I used it until I turned 18, got seriously interested in photography, and bought a Komaflex-S. I don't know whatever happened to the Memar although I recently got another one "just because".

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home