Saturday, September 05, 2009

Congressman Alcee Hastings' Brunch For Speaker Of The House Tom Foley


(Click on the photo to make it bigger.)

I shot this in May 1994. It was a major coup for Alcee to get the Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives to show up to speak a this brunch, it being so far from the next election. You can see that from Alcee's grin in every picture. I think he might have been the one to teach Councilman Scott Galvin how to smile. The never ending smile!

Tom Foley is the tall white guy with white hair. Alcee Hastings is wearing a dark suit and a big grin. Considering that the Speaker of the House is second in the line of succession to the president, right after the vice-president, I was surprised at how low key the security was. I don't recall seeing anybody that stood out as a Secret Service agent although I'm sure that several were around. Nobody hasseled me as I moved people around for the obligatory group shots, but we were pressed for time. Tom had a luncheon or such that he had to get to on behalf of another Democratic official on the other side of town. I missed out on the opportunity of getting a photo of me shaking his hand.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home