Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mug Shot ~ Thanks Mukul



My friend Mukul Dube in Delhi, India sent me this mug. Thanks, Mukul! What a great birthday gift! Yeah, I turned 67 a couple of days ago and I look more fit and in better shape than my balding physician Larry. I got me a flatter belly also. Not to mention that mop of hair! Eat your heart out, Larry the Bald.

I guess this means that I'm going to have to stick my 15mm Voigtlander Heliar lens, that ultra ULTRA wide angle optic, my favorite lens, on one of my Leica camera bodies instead of the lightweight little mostly plastic Bessa L. That oughta build up my arms and shoulders, holding close to a kilogram of glass, brass, and chrome out there at arm's length. Strange, but it's mostly chicks that recognize the Leica name. Or take traditional darkroom courses at school and still shoot film! The Dudes talk about "megapixels" and auto this and auto that and frame rates, all that tech geek B.S. rather than wanting to learn how to make great eye catching photographs.

I like to sit out on my front porch in the morning, drinking my coffee, watching the dogs and kids walk by. I really enjoy watching the neighbor's cat trying to stalk the occasional wayward mouse that didn't manage to get into his hidey hole before it got light out.

The coffee tastes great in that new mug also. If you'd like one email Mukul. He can be reached at uthappam@gmail.com He'll want a check for $20, which includes shipping from Delhi, and the few dollars "profit" he uses to help out the malnourished children there. Obviously he can make good use of more money if you feel generous, and there's a saving in per mug shipping costs if you order more than one at a time, which is more more money for his good work.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Michael Markey said...

Looking fit and healthy there, Al

3:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey nice words there! And count me on the megapixels bore me shitless crowd of chicks...! Happy (belated) birthday

6:55 PM  
Blogger Omababe said...

Yeah, uh, Leica is kinda like *THE* designer name for cameras that we would recognize. :) :)

Also, I loved your series of P'town, takes me back to things like dancing at the Pied Piper and people-watching at the Crown and Anchor so many years ago. :)

Oh! Happy b'day, btw! :)

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please give Mukul my best. He still thinks I'm a crook. He knows what I mean. Happy birthday. Mine was on Oct. 30th...68. Like to hear from you someday. Since I was blocked from posting your photos I never get a message. Todd

9:56 PM  
Blogger Al Kaplan said...

Todd, send me an email. I need your current one. Thanks. ~Al

11:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Al. Enjoying the blog. Hopefully soon I will add a pair of Leica mugs to my Starbucks collection!

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home