Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Another Mystery ~ Tall Tales From The City Council


(Tune in later. Right now I have a City of North Miami Board of Adjustment meeting to attend because my buddy Councilman Scott Galvin keeps appointing me to these damned advisory boards!)

It's now a few hours later and I'm out skulking around town, trying to digest some of the conversations that I had, and that I overheard others having, in and around city hall tonight.

It seems that I wasn't the only one upset by the city council giving themselves a humongous raise and a generous expense account, as well as medical insurance and retirement benefits few of us would even dream off. This was after they'd told us board members that there was no money in this year's budget to give us an increase in our paltry token $10 a month, an amount set way back in 1961 and never changed. An amount that doesn't even cover our gasoline expense in doing our job. No, that raise isn't sitting well with the board members.

What's really going to come back and bite them, though, is the giant increase in the water and sewer rate. I agree with the increase. We need the increase because the city's water plant is falling apart due to neglect and deferred maintanance. It's the timing, though, that's going to bite them. Give themselves a huge raise while the citizens get a huge jump in the water bill at the same time? Monkette says it looks suspicious to her, and if there's one thing I've learned, NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IRATE TOY MONKEY. You'll lose every time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home