Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Getting Ready For The Photo Session ~ 1961



Last night I was surprised to an email from Karisa, otherwise known as Kay. She's five weeks younger than I am and we've known one another since toddlerhood when we were the only two kids on the block. Over the intervening sixty-five or so years we've managed to sort of stay in touch with one another. Recently I've been digging through my old files and ran across these photos of Kay. The scans are directly off the contact sheets.

In September 1961 I had just gotten my first 35mm single lens reflex camera, an Exakta VX with a 58mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar lens. It was loaded with Tri-X and I was staying at my grandmother's house in New Bedford, Mass. At the other end of the block my childhood playmate Kay lived. I needed a model and she was willing. Here are a few shots from the session.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Hi Al!

Wasn't your camera the same as Jimmy Stewart used in Rear Window? I believe black tape was affixed to the name, probably not to reveal it in the movie.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Bill

3:40 PM  
Blogger Al Kaplan said...

I really have no idea what camera was in Rear Window.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Here is a link Al. Photo dot net of all places!

http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/009F9p

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home