Saturday, November 11, 2006

...When I'm Sixty Four?


My soon to be wife Dawn has a remarkable memory for song lyrics. My 64th birthday was on the ninth, 2 days ago, and she called first thing in the morning singing "Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?" She can tell you what group sang it, what instrument everybody was playing, the name of the album, the whole nine yards! She still loves me.

I shot this photo a couple of days ago. This afternoon I picked up a double cheeseburger at Burger King, Claudia had an apple and a banana along with today's newspaper, and off we went to visit Carl at the nursing home. As usual Claudia made some cracks about my unkempt hair. I reminded her that Dawn liked my hair this way. I told her about what happened this morning at the city's Veterans Day program. I heard my name called out and it was Mike Rozos whom I hadn't seen in probably 25 years, maybe closer to 30. He remarked that my beard and hair hadn't changed in all that time except for a touch of grey. He'd recognized me instantly from a hundred feet away in a crowd of a few hundred people.

After we caught up on who was doing what since he left his job here as Director of Parks and Recreation all those years ago, and moved away for bigger and better things, I had a hard time convincing him that he'd missed out on seeing me during the close to 25 years I was always in suit and tie and had my hair trimmed weekly, my face shaved daily. I finally had to dig out a photo to get him to believe me. He's now back living in nearby Hollywood. We exchanged cards and promised to get together.

This afternoon was the annual Greek Festival so I decided to check out the food. With Dawn being Greek I suspect that I'll once more be spending a bit of time at the Greek Orthodox Church. I used to do a lot of photography for them years ago. Today I shot some pictures of the belly dancers and chatted with people I hadn't seen in years. I pigged out on chicken, potatoes and string beans as only the Greeks can cook them, and whatever space was left inside of me was then stuffed with Greek pastries dripping with honey. Yum!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Al! And don't forget to keep up with Jorge Torralba's Leica M8 saga here:

http://www.photopoo.com/

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I turn 64, Al Kaplan with either be in a nursing home or taken to greener pastures by the Grim Reaper. So when I turn 64, I will buy myself a professional Voigtlander Bessa R4M coupled with a pristine super-wide angle Voigtlander lens and carry on Al's self-portrait adventures. Besides, I am a Bessa pimp and you can find me at:

http://www.photopoo.com
and
http://www.cosina-voigtlander.com

Hi, Ma! (and Moe, Curly and Jorge Torralba).

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pic!

Yours,
Eric Milner.

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home