Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Monkey Business!

When my favorite childhood stuffed toy animal, Monkey, flew out to San Francisco a few months ago to visit my friend Todd Frederick he came back with a gold earing in his ear, and brought his new girlfriend, Monkette, back with him. I'd tried to arrange for him to go from one photographer to another, visiting a host of cities, maybe even a foreign country or two, in one continuous trip, perhaps even circling the planet, but it didn't happen.

Instead, a few weeks after the two of them got back to Miami I got an Email from Danielle Stolman http://www.notsostilllife.com/, another San Francisco area photographer. She wanted to use Monkey in some photographs, so Monkey climbed back into the box and flew Priority Mail back out to the west coast again. I heard from Danielle this morning. She said that Monkey was fine and wanted to spend another week with her. Monkette wasn't thrilled with the idea but agreed to go along with it, keeping the peace.

In the meantime Monkette and I have been spending some quality time together, just the two of us. Here we're having our afternoon coffee at the new Starbucks by the plaza in front of the Museum Of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in North Miami. We both miss Monkey. Life just ain't the same around here without him!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I reaaly enjoyed looking over your site - the photos are impressive. I am looking over the photos on a snow day in Chicago.

After reading about your memories of the 60s and life in Florida, I feel a sudden urge to make a change: like dropping my Armani pinstriped suit, briefcase and silk tie in the trash, and starting a new life! I could leave the too-tight, too-expensive, too-shiny Italian wingtips and Brooks Brothers socks under my desk and just leave!

Maybe grow a beard for the first time and lose the yuppie haircut. Quit the corporate rat race. My wife wouldn't like it - or maybe she would? She married an executive "suit". But maybe she wouldn't mind?

Just dreaming...

Well, just some thoughts on a cold day in Chicago looking at a more relaxed life in Florida. Thanks for an escape from the office life for a few minutes!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Pack Rat Bill said...

Al, Bob Michaels and I are here in Orlando making pictures, while you stayed in Miami. Maybe you could send Monkey up here for a session or two. Bob says he knew you back when, and I remember you from the Herald. Talk to Monk. Let us know.

Bill Carpenter
bill@avidphotographer.com

7:40 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Hey Al,

Monkey is more than welcome to spend a bit of time with us here in Seattle. I spend my days driving all over the Pacific Northwest, as any Seattle Superhero is apt to do, and I always have an empty seat next to me in the Knifemobile.

While I've never been a prfessional photographer it is a bit of a hobby. It would be fun, and your little friend would be treated as an honored guest in the Knifeman household while in town.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home