Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sorry, one thing at a time...The New Computer...The Deaf Club...The Guy Beating Up His Girlfriend And Stealing Her Car, The Arrest

I'm still learning my way around this new computer set-up with a brain that's not set up for digital. Not at all, it seems. Maybe I need a slot in my forehead where I could just insert a disc and download the program?


Last night was exciting. I drove my deaf neighbor Janis over to Starbucks. Wednesday nights a bunch of deaf people, "The Deaf Club"they call themselves, get together over there, drink coffee, and sign with one another. Most can hear a little bit, barely, and those who've learned to speak have some strange ways of pronouncing words. After awhile you get used to it, even learn to read the hands to some extent. Everybody was sitting around a couple of tables pulled together out on the patio about 9 PM when suddenly I heard screaming and loud banging noises coming from across the parking lot, about one hundred feet away. It was loud enough so that Don could hear the ruckus also!


There were a few college students by a parked car screaming and cursing at one another. The guy had one of the girls in a choke hold under his left arm, pummeling her with his free hand all the while banging her head against the car, as he walked around to the drivers side of the car. He pushed her away as he got in and started to drive off. She ran around to the passenger side and tried to get in but he'd already reached across and locked the door. She then grabbed hold of the roof rack and got dragged maybe 40 feet before falling off. The car drove off up U.S. 1.


The two girls sat on a curb crying, one trying to console the other, as cell phone calls must have jammed up the 911 switchboard. Don went over and found out that one of the girls owned the car, it was her boyfriend that had driven off, and that her purse and her cell phone, ID's and credit cards were in her purse inside the car.


Within minutes first two, and then a third, North Miami police cars were on the scene. The girl declined having the paramedics check her out. Don and I told the cops what we'd seen, and then, amazingly, the boyfriend drove back into the parking lot. The cops dragged him out of the car, cuffed him and put cuffs on his ankles too, judging from how he was hobbling as they raised his hands up to shoulder level from behind, a very painful position even when you bend forward from the waist. At that point he started getting upset but they managed to get him in the back seat of one of the police cars, threw him in really, because there was no way he could have lifted either one of his feet high enough to step in by himself. The excitement was over.

Don and I went back to finish our coffee and I thought of how if I'd only brought my 85mm f/2 lens (and I HAD thought about doing so) and had the camera loaded with some 3200 speed film I might have gotten some great shots. Oh, well...win some, lose some.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some story, 'er, stories.

3:16 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

Sounds like a typical night in Miami. Never fails that when I come down to visit, I always see something akin to this.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home