Sunday, December 14, 2008

Giving Florida a Bad Name?

This afternoon I got a call from my cousin Joel. He calls every year when he visits Florida to escape the New England chill. But this call wasn't the usual "What day are you available to get together?" It was "Do you know anybody in the State Attorney's office?"

That didn't sound like the Cuz I remembered. He just wanted to rent a house in a warm climate for a few months, a house in Boca Raton, FL. He told me about his problem with getting ripped off by a real estate agent seemingly in cahoots with the homeowner, and for a substantial amount too, over five thousand dollars. I made a few suggestions as to what he might do and who he should contact, then I had a flash of inspiration! I'm a lazy dude and this would be a great way to fill some blog space! "Joel" I said, "Put it in an email. Write all the gruesome deatails, name names, and if you do manage to get down here we'll go take a picture of you, sad look on your face, tear filled eyes, standing in front of the house that you'd paid for but weren't going to get to stay in. We'll post the photo on The Price of Silver right here!"

So here's Joel's email, his very own words, from him to me, and now for the whole entire world to read:

MY DISMAY ON FLORIDA REAL ESTATE

On the 22nd of November I went into contract for a house in Boca Raton, Fl. with the real estate office of HOME RUN REALTY, INC. 2918 Jog Road Green Acres, Fl. Since the time I gave them a sizable deposit there was nothing but heart ache. The Real Estate agent handling the home was very unprofessional and rude to me. On the 11th of December, I was informed by the real estate agent LEONARD GREENBERG to send a check directly to the owner which I did by OVERNITE and the check was cashed on the 12th at my bank. As of yesterday, I received a call from the agent that was handling my end named DARWIN SEALEY that he heard from Mr. Greenberg that the owner did not want to rent to me. My plans were already made to be in Florida on the 17th of December leaving me no place to go. As of today (December 14th) Mr. Sealey told me that Mr. Greenberg as not heard anything from the owners. I also have spoken to the owner of HOME RUN REAL ESTATE (Debbie Smith) and got no where with her as she just gave it back to Mr. Sealey. NOW, MAYBE PEOPLE CAN UNDERSTAND WHY THE REAL ESTATE MARKET IS SO BAD IN FLORIDA AS THE REAL ESTATE AGENTS AS WELL AS THE OWNERS OF THE OFFICES DO NOT CARE ABOUT RENTALS AS WELL AS SELLING.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a realtor with RE/MAX Complete Solutions in Boca Raton, FL, and am horrified to read this story. It is unbelievable to me that the horrible market has not flushed out the incompetent agents. I also don't understand why the agent couldn't put the renter in another available property, even on short notice as we all know there are a plethora of available furnished homes that don't require advanced association approval. It was an unfortunate situation that could have easily been corrected.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home