Thursday, June 18, 2009

Another Oldie ~ Springtime In Boston 1964



Some memories are sharper than others but my memories of Jay are still crystal clear. We met at the bus station in Boston. I used to take the bus every few weeks to visit my dad in New Bedford. Jay was from Scarsdale, New York and would take the train to Boston and then the bus to the ivy league prep shool that she attended in Hyannis on Cape Cod. Her dad was quite wealthy, an oil broker. We were both at the bus station waiting for our buses and struck up a conversation, exchanged addresses (people wrote letters back then and I didn't have a phone)and got on our buses.

A few days later a letter arrived, I wrote back. We exchanged two, maybe three letters, then one day there was a knock on the door. Jay was there, suitcase in hand. I used a neighbor's phone and called her father. The next day he arrived to get his daughter and drive her to school. Jay and I exchanged a few more letters and then there was that knock on the door. Once more I called her dad.

He said that I seemed like a responsible guy and that if he came to get Jay most likely she'd be back at my place within a day or two, or worse, just run off and nobody would know where she was. He suggested that she should stay with me and he'd send a check every week to cover expenses. I agreed. Every few weeks we'd take the train to Scarsdale and spend a weekend with her folks. I soon fell very much in love. The relationship lasted close to a year, and then she decided that she liked one of my friends better. I used to run into her on occasion over the next few months but then I think she moved to New York.

This was shot in Boston Commons in the early spring of 1964 with a Leica III-C and a 35mm f/1.8 Canon lens, and the badly faded print was probably made from an Ektachrome transparency. Jay, if you're out there someplace please send me an email, just for old time's sake.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark Ehlers said...

Lovely picture of a lovely girl...at a lovely moment.

Ahhh...memories. They make the past so rich, and make the present so sacred.

I love your blog, Al.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Maddy said...

A lovely story and a lovelier shot mate :)

Do update on whether she wrote back.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

photography and memories...the faded look transmit a sense of peace and serenity ...
robert blu

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home