Saturday, April 14, 2007

Brown Skin Girl


I've always been attracted to black women, not to the exclusion of other women, but an attractive woman is an attractive woman regardless of her complexion. I've dated some women of Chinese ancestory as well as those who's ancestors came from India, and a Native America or two. Probably the biggest love of my life (at least according to my fiance, who's of Greek ancestory) was a Jamaican woman that I met sixteen years ago. We lived together for about ten years.

Back in the 1950's there was a hit song by Harry Belafonte, a Jamican singer, called Brown Skin Girls. I loved his singing and the syncopated rythm of the calypso music. I guess that stayed with me all these years, the fascination with brown skin girl. Today there was an article in the Miami Herald on how common interracial marriage has become. http://www.miamiherald.com/360/story/71704.html I'm not sure how long this link will last. The Herald doesn't keep them forever.

I remember 16 years ago when Vivette and first started dating we would go into a restaurant and people would look at us, stare really. Today I see lots of bi-racial couples. Nobody pays any attention at all anymore. At one point I'd asked Vivette to marry me, but she said that we both had grown kids and we weren't planning on making babies so why get married. But that's all in the past.

This was the here and now. Here I was enjoying my evening coffee at my usual haunt, the Starbucks down the street, when this gorgeous young woman sat down across the walkway from me. My eyes were drawn to her, and she kept looking over towards me. We exchanged a few pleasantries but I never attempted the move to the vacant seat at her table, nor did I invite her to join me at my table. Part of it I guess is that I'm already planning on marrying Dawn, and a lot has to do with the fact that I'm old enough to be this young lady's grandfather, with room to spare! Oh well, a man can dream, can't he?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home