Sunday, June 24, 2007

Meanwhile, Back At MOCA Plaza...

The City of North Miami has been taking advantage of the plaza next to city hall and in front of the police station and MOCA, the Museum of Contemporary Art to hold all sorts of events. We lucked out with a very mild winter and so far, at least, the rain seems to be checking with the city manager before trying to solve our drought problem. The sky gets dark and ominous looking but the rain waits until everything is over with.

These days I'm not shooting for the newspaper, nor am I shooting for the city, so I've become a bit of a slackard about writing notes about who, what, where, when, and why. Here I know where, but a few weeks or months later I often don't remember much else...LOL...beyond the fact that the guy in the right forground is me. I can make a pretty good guess that I was using Kodacolor Gold 200 film in my Bessa L with the 15mm Heliar lens. That's about all I use these days.

On to other news:

Yesterday was an unusual day. Herb Otey actually got me to drive more than five miles from my house! He even got me to shoot with my Leica M bodies set up with the 21mm f/3.4 Super Angulon, 35mm f/2 Summicron, and 85mm f/2 Nikkor lenses. I used 400 speed color film. For about 3 hours I got to shoot the James Brown Tribute Band both back stage and on stage. The concert was at the Joseph Caleb Auditorium at 5400 N.W. 22nd Ave. It reminded me of the good old days when I shot for the Florida Courier, a black paper, and I'd often go all day without seeing another white face.

When I went to Starbucks late last night I was greeted with a bunch of "Where ya bin all day" questions, and the universal incredulous question after I told them was "..and you weren't scared?" I'm not sure exactly why, but I've never once had a problem, not in all those years, with being the only white face around. So no, I wasn't scared.

I guess that I should let Herb and the band see the photos first, but I'm figuring on posting a few of them here. Maybe for the next concert we can get a sold-out house, including a whole bunch of white faces grooving to the music. Sound like a plan, Herb?

******************************************************************

Update:

Herb loved the photos. He's got the discs (Fuji scans at Walgreens) and is supposed to pick out a few for me to post here on my blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home