Friday, January 09, 2009

Right Hand Man


There really is an underlying photographic image here, honest!
It was printed on Ilford Multigrade paper and "developed" using Kodak Dektol paper developer and it's part of a series I've been working on over the last few months. In a few of them, and tis is one of those, I decided to add some color using acrylic paints. I need to do some more experimentation with the paint aspect. I use some bright colors here, and I love the way the finger tips and base areaof the thumb came out, but the fuscia just doesn't work.
I dipped my hand partway into a tray of Dektol, shook the excess off onto the paper, and then pressed my hand down firmly onto the paper, which was supported by a sheet of heavy plexiglass. My hand stayed there for a bit over five minutes. In the meantime the scattered drops of developer just sat there with no agitation so the developer loaded up with bromide, then I tilted the paper in various directions to allow the bromide loaded developer to run across the prints surface. It was all that bromide that left the grey streaks. I made a few more prints using the same technique but I wanted to get the opinions of a few other people before I went hog wild. So far they've been well received at a couple of gallery shows, but they didn't include any prints that were painted.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home