Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Golden Wedding Anniversary 1885 ~ 1935


I'm assuming that this is the family and friends of my father's family. His mother's maiden name was Cohen and it was amongst the photographs that I saved from her attic when she passed away in the early 1970's. My mother's maiden name also was Cohen but the features on the faces reflect my paternal grandmother's lineage.
The print is dated December 29th 1935 and it's printed on double weight paper. The brownish tone extends into the whites so I suspect it wasn't toned but rather it's a result of staining from age and some obvious water damage. It also has some cracks in the emulsion. I turned down a few offers of "Oh, I can run that through Photoshop and get rid of the cracks and discoloration for you" but I'd rather show it as it really looks. The inscription appears to have been written on the negative with a lettering pen and India ink. No doubt every couple at the event got a print.
The paper measures 13.75 inches by 8.5 inches with an image area of 13.25 x 7.125 inches I assume it was shot with a very wide angle lens because of the distortion near the corners of the image (see the woman's face on the lower left), cropped and contact printed from an 11x 14 negative.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Pikemann Urge said...

I love old photos, particularly pre-war. Not easy to come by though. Where did you get this one?

Some might say "All photos will be old one day" but not so: I am much more interested in post-Victorian, pre-WW2 photos than any other era.

I guess the 1950s come a close second though! Too bad the oldest Super-8 footage I have (found, not inherited) is late '60s...

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home