Sunday, May 03, 2009

Where There's A Will There's A Way



It reminds me of the Beatle's song, that line that goes "Her name was McGill, she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy". Well, we'd met up at a nearby restaurant so I could hand her a check and she could give me my new updated will. And it's true! It seems that just about everybody around North Miami knows her as Nancy. Nancy Appleton became an attorney in an era when it was more common for a woman to become a legal secretary, but Nancy was just following in her mother's footsteps. Lucille Coughlin was also an attorney. Nancy's card still says "Coughlin and Appleton" even though Lucille is no longer with us.

Nancy, like her mother before her, is extremely active in the community and I'm always running into her at Chamber of Commerce functions, dedications, and such, and whenever I need a lawyer I call Nancy.

She arrived at the restaurant with her secretary a few minutes before I did. When I got there she introduced me to her secretary, and made sure that I was aware that the secretary wasn't currently married. Always looking for more business, and sharing my droll sense of humor she continued with "How many pre-nups and divorces have I handled for you Al? I forget exactly." I guess she's not so much giving me a break on her fee so much as a quantity discount. I'd been expecting to have to write a larger check. Just as well. I must have signed my name fifty times on all the copies of all the documents. I left there with some documents in hand and the promise that the rest would arrive in the mail shortly. The secretary left there with my card and Nancy assured her that I cleaned up nicely and looked good in a suit. I guess I'll just sit home and wait for the phone to ring? Nah, no need! She has my cell number!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home