Friday, October 09, 2009

Cousin Joel's First Smoke




1961 was the year Joel turned 11. I guess today I'd get thrown in jail for child abuse but my Aunt Anne, Joel's mother, was offering me cigarettes when I was about that age. She did tell me that Kent cigarettes were milder and I should switch from Marlboros. At the time both of my parents smoked unfiltered Lucky Strikes. Joel is probably lighting a Kent because Marlboros had "cork" colored filter tips. A few years later I did switch brands, to unfiltered Camels.

The photo was shot in our grandmother's living room on 127 Tri-X, probably with a Ricoh 44 twin lens reflex camera. We were most likely all dressed up to go to temple for the Jewish holidays.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic photographs. These really take me back.

Cousin Joe, what a scoundrel!

MickH@RFF

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Sy said...

It must be special to have pictures that come from such a different time than we live in today.. Love this.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home