Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes


That was the name of a hit Broadway show back in the 1950's when I was a kid. This little blonde was just so cute and loveable that I couldn't resist her charms. She really had a winning smile. She was the local poster child for the March of Dimes that year, but I can't remember her name. I guess she'd be in her early thirties now. This was about the time when I'd decided that I wanted to start getting in the shots with the celebs, not just take pictures of other people in the limelight.

The March of Dimes had recently located their South Florida office into a local bank building here in North Miami, mere blocks from my house. I guess I'd met their public relations director at a Chamber of Commerce luncheon. He was looking for a photographer who could cover the occasional banquet and their annual golf tournament, as well as being able to run over to their office at times, sometimes on short notice, for a fast shot. I took on the account because it was close by and I knew I'd get to meet a lot of potential clients. I rarely billed for much more than expenses. I made some great business contacts though.

Eventually, as the center of population here in South Florida shifted north into Broward County, they moved their office also. Between staff changes within the organization and the inconvenience of servicing an account twenty miles away, at some point I stopped doing their photography. I often wonder what ever happened to all of those kids that I photographed back then. Where are they now? What are they doing?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn! You needed a haircut there big time.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's cool to be like Al. Just get a junker rangefinder and go out and shoot some black and white!

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a good black and white film?

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobo, you will find the answer here:

http://www.photopoo.com/info.htm

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home