Friday, July 17, 2009

One Of My Favorite Images



I have a beautiful 11X14 print of this image framed and hanging on the wall but my scanner is too small. This is another one of those horrid old contact sheets that I used for the scan. The partial white circle on the upper left is where I'd punched a hole for the three ring binder where I used to keep them.

At the time we were living in a third floor apartment in New Bedford, Mass. I was playing around with using a pin hole aperture in front of the lens on my Minolta Autocord. I arrasnged several items on the kitchen table in front of the window. The sea gull is one of a pair of book ends. The other had a broken wing and eventually this one broke also. The ashtray was made by my father during one of his arty phases. I put the Minolta Autocord on a tripod, stuck the pin hole between the lens and a light yellow filter. I made several exposures, ranging from about one to perhaps five minute long. This particular one has a ghost cigarette. I'd forgotten that the cigarette was burning in the ashtray as part of the composition and picked it up for a toke about halfway through the exposure. I liked this shot best.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this picture: the composition and the story behind it, with the interesting details, like the seagull and the hole from the binder. I called them details, but are not details: are history. Are memories important to you, like the art phase of your father.
This is the strenght of photography, a combination of aesthetic and feelings.
robert blu

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home