Thursday, October 05, 2006

Waiting for Dawn


Yup, that's what I'm doing right now. This photo was shot last spring at a South Florida Fishing Club outing. I'm not sure at this point just who was sitting across the table from me. They picked up my camera and clicked off one frame. I guess I was hamming it up for the camera. I don't usually walk around with that expression on my face.

But Dawn just called a few minutes ago to tell me she was loading the car and should be here from Tampa in about five hours. The expression on my face, the dreamy look in my eyes, seems to express my feelings right now. Hence the title of the post.

The SFFC outing was the annual kingfish tournament. I like to fish inshore, mostly in Biscayne Bay, because I get seasick if it gets rough offshore. Not a problem if it's a nice day with a light breeze and the decision to head out through Haulover Cut is made at first light, but to fish the tournament means agreeing to team up with somebody weeks ahead of the event. I won't do that. So I'm the guy who is the club weighmaster. I get to stay ashore, hang the certified scales, write down all the fish on my clipboard, then announce the winners. Somebody always offers to give me a mess of fresh kingfish steaks, so I show up prepared with an ice filled cooler in my truck. Next SFFC kingfish tournament the new Mrs. Al Kaplan will either be keeping me company waiting at the dock or more likely be out there fishing with somebody on their boat. Then I'll be eating Greek fish recipes for weeks. Yumm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home