Monday, July 16, 2007

Thank You Betsy Ross

This is another of the photographs that I took on Flag Day a couple of weeks ago. It's been over 200 years since Betsy Ross designed and sewed up the first copy of the American flag which featured 13 stripes of alternating red and white and thirteen white stars in a circle on a field of blue. They represented the original thirteen states. We've since added a star as each additional state has been admitted to the union.

Sparing no expense, the City of North Miami got Betsy Ross to address the audience at the ceremonies honoring our flag and our country. A couple of hundred people showed up at the plaza next to City Hall and in front of the Museum Of Contemporary Art. I used my ultra wide angle lens here as I stood in front of the crowd. I love what its perspective does to the patterns of the pavers in the plaza. Scroll down a bit to see some photos showing that there were some other people here, but no monkeys.

Next year I plan on taking Monkey and Monkette with me, each carrying their own little flag. I think that they'd make for a much cuter photograph than the one that Herald photographer Nuri Vallbona shot of my arm sticking up above the crowd holding my camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home